Fast forwarding past 2003 and part one of this series, we join our intrepid DJ Heroes in 2004 as they decide to Clash it up and celebrate the 25th anniversary of the classic London Calling LP, mashup style.
Richie Deluxe over at Culturedeluxe was the main honcho who put together the MP3-only release, but eventually the project snowballed from the virtual into the real when Nick Foster decided to put it out on his newly formed Prankmonkey Records, mostly as 2×12″ records, but the rip here comes from the Japanese only 2CD set which includes ALL the tracks, including the B-sides which were in the original MP3 release. Big thanks to Dunproofin for sending this to me (I only had the original MP3s and my gratis unplayed vinyl :-D)
Best tracks? Well Don (Pirate Soundsystem aka Blo_up)’s ‘Burnin’ which predated and I think inspired the project is still a classic and best track here, Loo & Placido know dub like no other so really bring something to Guns of Brixton, and I love DJ Riko’s and EzLee’s uptempo efforts. McSleazy’s chilled version of Lost in the Supermarket really works bringing in Adam Freeland and vocodered lyrics, and the glitch brigade is well represented by JoolsMF and Josh (Cry on my) Console (another Pirate and both DJ Hero-es ;-), and although they’re b-sides I still have fond memories of Allen Smithee’s Streets mash and Dr Helix’s appropriate use of the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels sample in his ‘Card Shark’ bootleg – wonderful.
I’ve also included all the original artwork I can find (thanks to Jumpthesnark for helping with that) although I don’t have a hi-res of the eventual release artwork (unless I try and scan and stitch my 12″!) and 2 bonus tracks that you probably won’t find anywhere else – a Manriki track meant for the album instead of ‘Good Profile’ but the Peaches acapella had already been used (shame because I think it’s a better track than Good Profile), and a recording of Don’s ‘Burnin’ up being played by Eddy TM on the Remix on XFM. History, bitches!
This is a release dear to my heart, not only is it the first (and only) time I’ve appeared on vinyl as Instamatic, gaining my own Discogs mention, but also the design of this very site was originally meant for it, but personal reasons meant I had to bail and Pheugoo instead did the cover…
So if things had gone very different you’d not be reading Radio Clash now (probably be called The Strawberry Accident Affair or something :-P)
Also the Jimmi Jammes track ‘The Girl Wants A Cheat’ was the first track I played in the first ever Radio Clash.
You can get this slice of fried gold here (106Mb) or failing that (and only if it doesn’t work) then try the direct link here which should never change (warning: any hammering of my server or sharing of the direct link and I will take it down again!). Again proceeds were originally to charity, but Future Forests seems to have disappeared (?) and I can’t remember the others. Just be nice to each other instead, as Joe would say.
- Blo_Up – Burnin’
- Dunproofin’ – Bubba’s Got A Brand New Cadillac
- Agent Lovelette – Burning Hot Jazz
- Stevie Mac – Hateful
- Eve Massacre – The Power Of Rebelution Can’t Fail
- Instamatic – Spanish Bombs (Over Baghdad)
- Manriki – A Good Profile
- McSleazy – Lost Souls In The Supermarket
- DJ Riko – Build ‘Em Up, Clamp ‘Em Down
- Loo & Placido – What About Brixton?
- Miss Frenchie – Fuck ‘Em Boyo
- JoolsMF – Death Or Glory (Zeigeist Mix)
- Cry On My Console – Koka Kola (Tizer Remix)
- Jimmi Jammes – The Girl Wants A Cheat
- Pop Razors – 40 Lovers
- 10000 Spoons – Four Hoarse Men
- E-Jitz – I’m Not Down (Hold Your Head Up)
- Poj Masta – Rapturous Revolution
- Ez Lee – Vain Mistake
- Allen Smithee – Street Profile
- Dr Helix – Super Sharp Card Shark
- Faultside – Hysteria In Vain
- Freed – Birmingham’s Burning
- Freed – Rhythm Of The Dub
- LazyTramp – Funky Guns Of Brixton
- BONUS: Eddy TM on XFM – London Booted on the Remix
- BONUS: manriki – Fuck The Right Profile (The Clash vs Peaches)
Apols if I got any of the history wrong; it was a long time ago (and most of the
people aliases are dead…only kidding!)