Radio Clash 67: Artist Special – Ivor Cutler

A special show commemorating everyone’s favourite harmonium-playing haddock-singing scotsman, Ivor Cutler who died on the 3rd of March.

Sorry no mashups but plenty of good music, by Ivor and others.

Ooh Look Another Click!

Notes:

• Ivor Cutler – Here’s a Health to Simon (excerpt) (from Ivor Cutler of Y’Hup)
  • Ivor Cutler – I’m Happy (from Ludo)
  • Ivor Cutler – Nobody Knows (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler and Linda Hirst – Woman of the World (from Privilege)
  • Ivor Cutler – Life In A Scotch Sitting Room Vol. 2, Ep. 7 (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Alasdair Roberts – I Had a Little Boat (from 25 Years of Rought Trade)
  • Ivor Cutler – Dad’s Lapse (from Dandruff)
  • Ivor Cutler – Trouble Trouble (from Dandruff)
  • Ivor Cutler – Vein Girl (from Dandruff)
  • Ivor Cutler – Good Morning, How Are You, Shut Up (from Cassetteboy – Micks Tape / Ludo)
  • Yo La Tengo & David Grubbs – I’m Going In a Field
  • Ivor Cutler – Bread and Butter (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – I Got No Common Sense (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – Phonic Poem (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Kathryn Williams – Beautiful Cosmos
  • Ivor Cutler – Once Upon a Time (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Jim O’Rourke – Women of the World (from Eureka)
  • Ivor Cutler – Birdswing (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – Gravity Begins at Home (from Ivor Cutler of Y’Hup)
  • Ivor Cutler – If your Breasts (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – I Believe in Bugs (from Dandruff)
  • Franz Ferdinand – Jacqueline (Live)
  • Ivor Cutler – The Dirty Dinner (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – Shop Lifters (from Ludo)
  • Ivor Cutler – Yellow Fly (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – A Real Man
  • Ivor Cutler – Pearly Gleam (from Velvet Donkey)
  • Ivor Cutler – When I Entered (from Dandruff)

More about Ivor:

Wikipedia entry

Biography

Discography

Alex Kapranos on Ivor (Jaqueline)

Relatio Clash

Tim B Written by:

1. Dave
    March 9

What a brilliant show! I’d heard Ivor before without knowing who he was; I’d heard his name too, but never had it connected to anything.
    Now I know – thanks, Tim!

2. Gustav
    March 9

What a wonderful show. Thanks for making that. I too had heard bits and pieces and references but never quite connected them to one person. Sad that he passed away before I found out who he was while he lived, rather like another post mortem glaswegian hero of mine, Alex Harvey. But I digress, Thanks! it was a wonderfully unfussy and warm tribute.

3. paul
    March 13

Bought it all back, listening to Ivor on the Peel Show, anf then spending years afterwards, even now, finding myself singing some half remembered words to Pellets.

Also spotted him on the bus of the Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour Bus film playing Buster Bloodvessel and a recent BBC documentary.

4. March 14

There actually was an Ivor Cutler mashup: Ivor vs Eno’s “Music For Airports” I believe. Don’t remember who did it, but ’twas submitted to gybo’s spoken-word challenge.

5. Lumpy
    March 26

The Ivor vs Music For Airports was one of mine actually, and was an effort I made before I made my first official release. I think it shows too šŸ™‚

6. Whisky Ed
    April 8

Thanks Tim, gonna have a listen now!

I heard of Ivor Cutler from 6 music and Cassette Boy’s “Micks Tape”

Ed

7. April 14

Thank you so much for that. I downloaded and bunged the show onto my iPod shuffle and thus had yours and Ivor’s company in my head on the train to (and briefly during) a day out at the seaside. Listening to Ivor and staring out of a train window complement each other marvellously. It all left me in a suitably contemplative mood for walking by/gazing at the sea.

Thank you too for including A Real Man which I don’t think I’d ever heard before (almost everything else was familiar to me but still freshened by being put in a new sequence). I’ll have to seek that one out.

8. Resonance FM Blog » Blog Archive » Ivor Cutler fans: Radio Clash special
    April 17

[…] Click here to grab the podcast! […]

9. April 17

thanks a lot for this tribute to this great artist. an ivor is gone and we miss him.
    david