I don’t know where the Ricky Gervais podcast got that ‘World’s #1′ status from (probably invented it themselves a la Chris Moyles’ ‘
Satan Saviour of Radio 1′) so I went and had a listen to episodes 4, and some of 5 and 6.
I must say I can’t see what the fuss is about, it’s terrible and rambly – the average ‘indie’ podcast has more humour and is more topical and on-point, and the Carl Pilkington character is mind-numbingly (intentionally?) dumb and is obviously setup as the fall guy of the jokes, and the others aren’t adding much.
Although it’s good that the talents of Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant and Guardian should put their time and money behind podcasting, thankfully there will be only 12 episodes – I think Ricky should stick to his much better and funnier TV shows.
Also the legalese at the ending seems a bit, well , stupid:
You may not copy, reproduce, alter, republish, broadcast, make available to the public or otherwise use the podcast except for your personal, non-commercial use.
Most of podcasting has cross-polinated and publicised itself via podcasts mentioning and playing bits of other’s podcasts, saying ‘this is really cool – have a listen’. And people will actually do what the hell they please with the media anyway – it’s freely available on the Net. So having a standard non-reproduction clause on the internet is a little silly and strangely authoritarian – maybe they should have released it as Creative Commons? Now that would be revolutionary.
To be honest if you think the Ricky Gervais show is the be-all and end-all in podcasting, then you REALLY need to check out these shows, or any shows in the comedy or speech categories at any of the podcasting directories.
They are far funnier and better, even on ‘ramble’ random mode:
- Top of the Pods – cover a lot of the same territory as the Gervais show when they go off topic, but far funnier for it, and have the lists to fall back on to keep it in check. And they’ve been doing it longer than them!
- Ken And Squip Show – from the US, still very topical and have far more chemistry that the Gervais show
- Tracks up the Tree – ostensably a music show, but they discuss various topics and have a much funnier chemistry between Ben and Josiah, and Funtime Diane
- Yeast Radio – from a more shocking perspective, and funnier with good politics. Got bored with daily podcasts (far too frequent for me and I think the quality drops a little), and especially the eating on mic and schvitzing so I’ve currently unsubbed, but it’s worth listening in, and still far better than the RG show
- Feast of Fools – good on a pink/shock level, sometimes very funny, sometimes serious. Currently unsubbed (see daily podcast comment above) but still quality.
Loads more podcasts out there. especially of a more serious/music bent (see my recommendations to the right) but it annoys me when someone uses their fame to jump on the podcasting bandwagon; but don’t seem to be adding any more than what you could hear on zoo morning radio here. Maybe with less tunes, but existing podcasters do it far better – with less attention and less audience sadly.