first mashup you heard (and inspired you to hear more)

An idea from a listener to do a show of mashup firsts – the first mashups that people heard and got them into mashups…which might be the first or the 50th – but what was the first one that made you sit up and take notice?

If I get enough responses, I’ll do a show, with shout outs to the ones I play 😀

For me it was Girls on Top (aka Richard X) – Warm Bitch which I stumbled across at Sister Ray, a record shop in Soho. They were playing it on 7″. Wish I’d bought that now!

More Related Posts

Tim B Written by:

1. August 13

The first one that REALLY got me into mashups was rigby reggae, heard in the funky munky in camberwell. I’d heard stroke of genius etc.. before and liked them but never took it seriously.

2. psycho acoustic research
    August 13

I heard PB’s Boulevard of Broken Songs on a Seattle radio station,. It took a better part of a week to find out what the hell that was, having never heard the term ‘mashup’ before. Eventually I discovered bastard pop, bootie and then GYBO. I have been lurking around ever since and now subscribe to a few podcasts, such as yours and Ramdom Thoughts. Now I am addicted. Thanks, I love it & keep it comin’.

3. August 13

My first “bootleg” was “Music Sounds Better On Holiday” (aka “Music Sounds Better With Madonna”) by the Stuntmasterz.

4. August 13

That’s not totally honest. “Boulevard of Broken Songs” was the track that made me pause, smile and adore mashup culture. There are years and years of mashup-y stuff before that that I loved, but “Boulevard of Broken Songs” was the curious animal that didn’t rely of filtered loops and dance music to pull it off. It was a rock song and it was a perfect combination of tracks together. I even understood a bit of how he pulled it off without an acapella. That was the moment that I wanted to make a remix or a track that I would call a mashup. Before that, I had considered it all remixy, megamixy, medley-y stuff… “Boulevard of Broken Songs” was this moment where the clouds parted and remix culture changed for me.

5. Ian Fondue
    August 13

To bend the rules slightly – the two 15 minute mini-Superchunks that Freelance Hellraiser did for the XFM Remix.
    Had stuff like ‘Ballad of a Hellraiser’, that Happy Mondays/One Minute Man track, Grange Hill Grammar, I *think I just can’t get enough purple pills, Music Knw Hw and a thing with Leftfield’s Phat Planet in there.

But basically, anything Freelance Hellraiser pre-Stroke of Genius would do it. If I can get my old desktop started, I think I have rip of a CD he game me of a lot of those tracks…

• August 17

strangely I don’t, was collecting Superchunks and anything FH from that period but must’ve either not been posted or taken down before I got it. 🙁

6. August 13

I’d found it on MP3 a while before and quite liked it, but it wasn’t until the Sharp Boys played it at Lakota one night that I saw how it made the whole place explode: Missy Elliott vs XPress 2 – Freaksim (Soulwax?)

• August 17

Sadly an ultra-rare white 12″…not going to pay a dodge Russian mafia run sites for it either 😉

• August 17

Don’t remember it from the time, but it looks like X-press did it themselves. X-Press 2 vs Missy Elliot X-Press 2 Get Ur Muzikizum On

7. August 13

The 10cc/Destiny’s Child section of As Heard On Radio Soulwax 2. That was the first one I heard which mixed something other than electronic music – I thought the editing of the 10cc track was inspired.

8. August 13

If I Want To Make My Life Chronological, I would say “The Beatles Medley” but the first I heard within the Bastard Pop culture might be “The Grey Album” which predate my listening on “American Edit” and “Collision Course”.

9. August 13

Probably something like Soulwax’s Skeelo vs Survivor although there were ‘blends’ before that which I loved. Or maybe Fatboy Slim’s Satisfaction Skank…?

10. BobLevingbird
    August 13

I heard alot of early attempts in the ’80’s and the problem then was that most of them had that ‘Stars on 45’ element and they came off as medleys- my favourite being a Chris Barbers Glen Miller Medley beating ‘Stars’ by probably a year! I remember Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel being aired on Capital Radio and drove my local record shop nuts for 6 months before it was finally released! There was a Thompson Twins mashup using the vocals from all their hits over ‘We Are Detective’ (does that count?) – but if we’re talking the ‘undergound’/white label/bootleg world that wasn’t for me until around 1990 with On U-Sound doing their own DJ made medleys for Depeche Mode and Madonna (I seem to remember no end of ‘Holiday’ mashups). My first purchases were ‘Last Night Billie Jean Saved My Life’, (vocals of ‘DJ’ over Billie Jean) but I don’t know who by, and Mystery Productions Inc ‘Tainted Cash’ (Meat Beat Manifesto v Soft Cell). Does that help?

11. August 16

Club House – Do It Again Billie Jean. Not a true mashup, but I heard it when it first came out (1983) and loved the concept. I reckon this paved the way for my love of one song to the tune of another, although the track has not stood the test of time very well.
    Probably the first true ‘bootleg’ I became aware of was something on the ‘Best Bootlegs in the World Ever’ CD. Looking at the tracklist that would make it Rockerfaction by DJ EZG, although it was the Evolution Control Committee and Stroke of Genius that we played to death. But then I was living in North Wales at the time with a poor modem web connection.

Pete

• August 17

And yes Clubhouse hasn’t stood the test of time well at all…the remake by Smash is far better, IMO.

12. August 17

What I don’t get is how Rockerfaction or the other FBS boot were so loved, I don’t remember that at all.

I remember people going nuts over Introspection, Genie-us or later GHP. DJ Spec? Freelance – that Grange Hill bootleg. Millions of Eminem ones – but not that one. Odd.

13. First Mashup proper I heard was AC/DC Back in Black vs Eminem My Name is which I found on Napster before Metallica killed them. Think it was ’02 or ’03 but it was a one off. I listened on and off on X-FM and remember a Dizzy Rascal song with ‘banana’ in it but never put 2+2 together to download on the net. Then I stumbled across MashupCity and I spent weeks going through the back catalogue. I went berserk and nearly twatted my hard drive with so much music to (re) discover. I didn’t have a favourite but loads. Coming so late to the scene I was spoilt for choice! Stand outs were Pussy Cat Dolls vs. Bloc Party and then when you were a starlight by team9 (Killers vs Muse) which was the first mashup to totally blow me away along with Katy Perry vs Bloc Party on APC’s first Guilty Pleasures not to mention Maiden Goes to Hollywood by Wax Audio which I have used to help spread the cause.
    But here’s the funny thing. Back in 1989 I got a record by a band called Black & White who ripped loads of AC/DC riffs (you could say sample but it was an entire track) and rapped over it. Not strictly mash up but I where the love came from. I still have the LP which I have not found anywhere else and my record player is kaput.

If you want to see how mashups hit me read me read here or just ignore me I normally do 😀 http://mash-upgingerzilla.blogspot.com/2008/09/mash-up-heaven.html