Thanks to Steve Holy13Nation I found out that in America last summer 8 shows (plus an intro documentary) were broadcast featuring 14 episodes of Joe Strummer’s London Calling – the show he did for many years on the World Service before he died, and as featured in the film ‘The Future is Unwritten‘ as links – you can find them on iTunes for free as podcasts (which I’ve uploaded here as a mirror in case they go down or people don’t have iTunes).
Only downside is as Steve pointed out, is the need and desire for such things is to tell you how great Joe Strummer was and constantly reminding you who he was through fairly obscure and tangentially related peopleÂ cf. aÂ ‘I met him once at a bus stop! type’ popping up before the 1st show.
So if you want to hear some of the other London Calling shows without the waffle, you’ve come to the right place. Posted some of these here before such as the 2007 repeats and Don Letts show, but most of these were obtained from the wonderful alphish and his Multiply page which is always worth checking out for new ones if they turn up – but they’re all Megaupload, which can be a right arse, so here they are all in one place…most are MP3 but some are OGG files EDIT: I’ve uploaded the converted MP3 files, aren’t I nice?. 😀 And also the Don Letts show.
Also I’ve checked the podcasts linked above versus these original radio recordings – it’s weird, some are duplicated here and some are not (none of the 2002 shows are there) and all in the wrong order. So you might be best listening to the podcast as a few of these are terrible hissy quality, compared to the lovely clean podcasts.
As a side note, the blurb around the ‘Summer of Strummer’ seems to suggest there were only 14 shows – not true from what I’ve read on ClashCity (sadly the thread isn’t there anymore) and others – there were quite a few shows esp. inÂ 2000 – and the fact they missed the last 4 shows doesn’t really inspire confidence.
Anyone know for certain how many shows were created and their TX dates? And if you have anything not listed here – gimme! I’ll add it.
As Joe said once ‘If that was no toe tapper or no body shaker, boy you need to see the undertaker!’
- 1998 Show 1 * low quality, duplicated by the podcasts
- 1998 Show 2 * low quality, duplicated by the podcasts
- 1998 Show 3 * low quality, duplicated by the podcasts
- 1998 Show 4 * low quality, duplicated by the podcasts
- 2000 Show 1 (ogg) 2000 Show 1 (mp3) *
- 2000 Show 2 (ogg) 2000 Show 2 (mp3) *
- 2000 Show 3 (ogg) 2000 Show 3 (mp3) * – low quality – fortunatelyÂ this show is part of the podcast set
- 2000 Show 4 (ogg) 2000 Show 4 (mp3) *
- 2000 Show 5 (ogg) 2000 Show 5 (mp3) * full intro on the podcast version
- 2000 Show 6 (ogg) 2000 Show 6 (mp3) *
- 2002 (rebroadcast 2007) Show 1 (weirdly not in the podcasts)
- 2002 (rebroadcast 2007) Show 2 (ditto)
- 2002 (rebroadcast 2007) Show 3 (ditto)
- 2002 (rebroadcast 2007) Show 4 (ditto)
- Don Letts Culture Clash tribute show– includes rare stuff about Joe also not in the podcasts (2007) – bit low quality to fit on my webspace – higher quality is the original RealAudio file rip which you can use something like this to convert. Tracklisting
And may I remind you, This One’s For Joe, the Strummer mashup album from a few years back is available – including my Orb vs Joe Strummer & Bonzo Dog mashup Willesden Blue which also takes samples from London Calling, and is still one of my best.
Oh and after a few question – it’s nice to be asked but – feel free to repost, spread the links, repost the files, torrent, twitter, send to all your friends, burn to CD etc. spread these far and wild – these files are on an old server and is dedicated to this, and has been up for years with some of these files with no problem, but in the rare event it does get pulled or go down I want these files to be out there – for ever. For future generations to hear – for the future is unwritten.
Joe’s love was the music and getting it heard, and this show deserves to be preserved and heard again – still surprised the BBC hasn’t repeated the whole series, or released them as discs – that’s a shocking omission, I’d far prefer to listen to these in high quality complete…I think there are many shows missing – let me know if you have any more.
Also some naughty person might’ve uploaded the podcasts for those without iTunes, with tracklists in the comments, tags and cover art, but as Shaggy once said ‘It wasn’t me’ 😉
Please let me know ASAP if any of these links are broken – I want to make sure these stay up permanently for as long as possible, for everyone to hear these great shows. Joe deserves that.